Wednesday 11 June 2014

Raw hide comes to The Valley

I have been asked why the posts dried up rather in May after a flurry of writing. The simple answer is that in farming there are times of year when there really isn't much to do. The animals are out enjoying the sunshine and eating fresh grass, most of the land clearance work has been done and hay making is still a few weeks away. In short, you tend to see more men wearing check patterned shirts in Exeter looking slightly lost in an urban environment. Rather, us country dwellers have been gearing up for the summer, with the sound of tractors being serviced, gates oiled and the often vicious annual arguments with contractors over who gets their hay cut first... 

In short, there has been a lull when I have been tending my mother's several dozen hectares of flower beds and reflecting on whether that philosophy degree was really worth it. The good news, though, is that I have finally bought my cows (!) after an enjoyable trip to Brixham to see some Aberdeen Angus cattle at Waddeton, which we can add to the growing list of places in Devon that I have never even got close to visiting. 



As you can see from the photos, they are indeed fine beasts, with impeccable pedigrees and a very quiet temperament. Aberdeen's are perfect for what I want to do at the farm. They can live out all year, thrive on a pure grass diet and the meat is second to none. The thing to look for is a straight back which indicates the potential to grow to a good size when mature. These are barely 1 year old heifers and require at least another season before they can be put the to the bull. 

The other choice would been to for a continental breed like Limousin or Charolais, which are the staple of commercial cattle operations. They are huge cows and pack a lot of lean meat, however, they are also decidedly vicious, mostly, my NFU contact tells me, because when British buyers first imported them from France in the 1950s, canny French farmers sold them their most awkward and troublesome animals and the genetics have stayed in the herd ever since. Also, I find it hard to rate the meat they produce as Charolais, for example, were bred as cart hauling animals, rather than for flavour. 

With half a dozen Aberdeens to begin with, it is hardly an episode of "Bonanza", but remember that herds can double in size every year and within five years there should be enough animals here to make it worth the effort. 

Now I just have to finish that book on tending grass-fed cattle which I have put off in favour of the latest Bernie Gunther story...

2 comments:

  1. Great to see them. I remember some of the nicest cattle I ever met were red Angus or the Angus-derived Murray greys so I wouldn't worry about them too much. (Santa Gs, though? Try to scrabble over that top rail without losing your hat...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are a docile breed. Easy calvers and ruthlessly selected for outdoor management. There is land up for rent next year, so I want to build up rapidly. Will probably get 15 to 20 next summer.

      Delete